This is a perfect side dish that can complement any meal.
Video © Copyright, FixMyRecipe.com, used with permission.
Sweet Onions with Basmati Rice, Summer Herbs & Dried Cherries
- 2 tbsp butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 1/2 tbsp basmati rice (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cups sweet onions chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Italian Parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup walnuts toasted
- Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear; set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice, 2 1/2 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in herbs, cherries, & walnuts. Season with pepper and more salt, if desired. Transfer to bowl and serve.